If you’re on the fence about the latest super Corvette from Chevrolet, allow us to distill our favorite features of the new plastic fantastic. The latest generation of Corvette was the first clean sheet redesign since 1997. Engineering and design were given a blank canvas to work with, and what they produced puts Chevrolet on-par with the most potent cars in the world. Here is why we think the Z06 should be your next car.
1) The 2016 Corvette Z06 is available as a coupe and a convertible. This is the first time Chevrolet has gone topless with their supercar.
2) If you like power, Z06 arrives with 650 hp and 650 lb-ft of torque. Many owners are finding the published numbers are slightly underrated, and you could be at 700 hp with a few basic mods.
3) Technology is in abundance with features such as the Performance Data Recorder and password protected valet mode. Apple CarPlay and 4G LTE are both standard for 2016.
4) If you cherish a smooth ride, the magnetic suspension is able to change from silky smooth to track mode faster than you can blink.
5) Sixty mph arrives in under 3 seconds. You won’t find another car anywhere near $79,000 capable of doing that
6) Build it yourself. For a small fee, you can spend the day at the Corvette Assembly Plant in Bowling Green, KY. After helping the assembly line crew build your baby, you take delivery next door at the National Corvette Museum.
7) Slick shifting: The new eight speed automatic is faster than most dual-clutch boxes, and the optional seven speed manual has triple cone synchros for smooth shifts.
8) Customization is an understatement for the Z06. Chevy has 3 aero packages and several interior trim levels, allowing you to build the car exactly to your liking.
9) If you plan on taking your new Z06 to the track, you will need a new trophy case. These cars were built to dominate, and their recent 1-2 finish at the Rolex 24 in Daytona is another reminder of its abilities.
10) For the time being, gas prices are enjoyable, but once they start to climb, Z06 rewards you with 22 mpg on the highway. Considering the fuel economy of its closest competitors, it will save you a few dollars at the pump.